It’s known as the most sophisticated, glamorous and classy annual affair in Hollywood, but as tends to happen when you stick a load of celebs in one room together, the Oscars 2017 was sprinkled with a whole load of chaos, too.
This year’s Academy Awards had everything from political protests to some seriously awkward celebrity moments, and let’s not forget quite possibly the world’s single biggest cock-up in the history of awards shows. SERIOUSLY, we’re still not actually sure what happened with the Best Picture fiasco tbh.
Anyway, here’s a quick rundown of the 10 craziest (or the coolest, if you must) moments of the night.
1. La La Land winning best picture, and then not winning best picture because actually, Moonlight won.
The single most awkward moment of television in history? Possibly.
2. Moana’s Auli’i Cravalho was hit in the face by a rogue flag mid-performance.
One of the dancers accidentally whacked her on the head with a giant flag, but she wasn’t even fazed and carried on singing ‘How Far I’ll Go’ like a total pro.
— Mashable (@mashable) February 27, 2017
3. This actress literally flashed her vagina thanks to an ott leg slit.
4. So many huge celebrities revealed that they’re secret Justin Timberlake fangirls.
Charlize Theron and Naomie Harris had an absolute blast, while Brie Larson was literally all of us. He performed ‘Can’t Stop The Feeling’ to open the ceremony, and the crowd went WILD.
5. Kris Jenner made a majorly awkward gaffe during red carpet coverage.
— Laurie Crosswell 🌞 (@lauriecrosswell) February 27, 2017
6. Meryl Streep got a standing ovation for being “overrated”.
Host Jimmy Kimmel called for a “totally undeserved round of applause” as she’s now the most Oscar nominated actress in history. It was, of course, also a dig at Trump’s Twitter tantrum about Meryl.
7. A Hollywood stars tour were unknowingly invited into the actual ceremony and were confused AF
Funny, if not slightly patronising, bizarre and awkward. Ryan Gosling was really nice to them all though, and that’s all that matters.
— Keith Urban (@KeithUrban) February 27, 2017
8. Emma Stone made a very clear political statement on her red carpet gown.
9. Jimmy Kimmel and Lion’s Sunny Pawar recreated the Lion King.
A sight you never knew you needed to see? The Oscars host lifting a teeny tiny 8-year-old child into the air to ‘The Circle of Life’. Yep.
10. The world discovered that Nicole Kidman doesn’t clap like a normal human being.
WTF is going on here.